Just starting to explore the world of essential oils?
This page is for you! I’m going to go over the top 10 most popular oils, what they are good for, and how to use them! Before we get started on individual oils and blends, let’s learn some basics.
Essential Oils for Beginners:
What exactly ARE essential oils?
Essential oils are volatile aromatic compounds, extracted and distilled from plants for health benefits! They are nature’s defense mechanism for plants and cells, and are highly concentrated – 50-70 times more powerful than herbs. 1 drop of Certified Pure Peppermint essential oil is the equivalent of 28 cups of peppermint tea!
Essential Oil Quality:
There are many companies selling essential oils, but due to lack of regulation, it can be hard to find pure, potent essential oils. I bought several brands of essential oils that didn’t work at all (what a waste of money!), then figured out that there is a VAST difference between essential oils. After a ton of research, I now only buy Certified Pure essential oils. What makes it Certified Pure?
- High quality plants are grown and harvested in their natural habitat
- A standard of completely natural purity
- Each batch of oil undergoes multiple 3rd party testing to certify purity. If a single chemical constituent is off, or any contaminant present, the entire batch gets tossed.
- Steam distilled or cold pressed – absolutely NO chemical solvents used to extract the oil.
Because I use essential oils almost exclusively to keep my family healthy, purity and potency is huge for me. I feel empowered and at ease using 100% pure essential oils on everyone in my family, including newborns. Before this Certified Pure standard was created, essential oils were not recommended for use one newborns because of the contaminants (highly concentrated contaminants) they contained.
This essential oil hunt can be expensive and time consuming. If you want to know what conclusion I came to after it all, email me. I’d love to help save you the time and money I spent searching for a powerful, natural health solution for my family.
Frankincense is often called The King of all oils or liquid gold because it has been so highly valued for thousands of years.
Frankincense effects many, many systems of the body and also has a profound beneficial effect on the brain. It’s soothing and beautifying properties are used to rejuvenate skin and reduce the appearance of scars and stretch marks. As the king of oils, Frankincense is known to promote cellular health and immunity and can be consumed daily for these internal benefits. It also promotes a healthy inflammatory response and acts as an overall tonic to the body’s systems, helping them function optimally.
It is now known that essential oils such as Frankincense and Sandalwood contain compounds called sesquiterpenes which are able to cross the blood brain barrier. Frankincense is a good preventative for overall health. Often it has been said, “When in doubt, Use Frankincense”
- Diffuse during your yoga practice to focus your intention for the day.
- Take one to two drops in a Veggie capsule to support healthy cellular function.*
- Add to moisturizer to reduce the appearance of blemishes and to rejuvenate the skin.
- When traveling somewhere dry, apply Frankincense to maintain healthy looking fingernails.
- Apply to the bottom of your feet to promote feelings of relaxation and to balance mood.
- After a day of outdoor activity, massage frankincense into hands and feet for a warming and soothing effect.
This is often called the “Swiss army knife of essential oils”. It’s widely used for its calming and relaxing qualities,and is one of the oils that can be used for deeper sleep. It is also great for soothing any kind of skin irritation. Other uses include:
- Reduces appearance of skin imperfections.
- Helps to ease feelings of tension.*
- Add a few drops of Lavender to pillows, bedding, or bottoms of feet for a restful night’s sleep.
- Freshen your linen closet, mattress, car, or the air with a light mist of Lavender combined with water in a spray bottle.
- Add to bath water to soak away stress or apply to the temples and the back of the neck.
- Use in cooking to soften citrus flavors and add a flavorful twist to marinades, baked goods, and desserts.
- Take internally to reduce anxious feelings.*
- Take internally for a peaceful sleep.*
Lemon is great oil to drink in your water every day because it is a wonderful detoxification oil. (This is different than drinking lemon juice as the essential oils comes from the rind.) What an easy way to combat environmental toxins and keep your cells clean and healthy! It is also uplifting to the mood and a wonderful natural cleanser that can be used to create your own natural, inexpensive, cleaning products. Here are some benefits and uses of lemon essential oil:
- Clean and purify the air and surfaces.
- Naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion.*
- Supports healthy respiratory function.*
- Diffuse to promote a positive mood.
- Take internally to assist with seasonal respiratory discomfort.*
- Add Lemon oil to a spray bottle of water to clean tables, countertops, and other surfaces.
- Lemon oil makes a great furniture polish; simply add a few drops to olive oil to clean, protect, and shine wood finishes.
- Use a cloth soaked in Lemon oil to preserve and protect your leather furniture and other leather surfaces or garments.
- Lemon oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals.
- Put on rag to help remove stubborn, sticky residue off surfaces.
- Wash hands with Lemon oil to remove grease after changing your oil.
Commonly referred to as Tea Tree oil, Melaleuca is one I never want to be without!
- Renowned for its cleansing and rejuvenating effect on the skin.
- Promotes healthy immune function.*
- Protects against environmental and seasonal threats.*
- For occasional skin irritations, apply one to two drops of Melaleuca essential oil onto affected area.
- Add one to two drops to water, citrus drinks, or veggie caps to support healthy immune system function.*
- Combine one to two drops with your facial cleanser or moisturizer for added cleansing properties.
- Apply to skin after shaving.
- Apply to fingernails and toenails after showering to purify and keep nails looking healthy.
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and use on surfaces to protect against environmental threats.
- Create your own aftershave with Melalueca and Cedarwood.
- Apply to the bottom of feet and inside shoes for a refresher.
One of the most powerful antibacterial oils, Oregano has been used for centuries in traditional medicine for its cleansing and immune-boosting properties. The primary chemical components of Oregano are carvacol and thymol, both in the phenols group, which possess purifying and antioxidant properties. Due to its high phenol content, caution should be taken when inhaling or diffusing Oregano; only one to two drops is needed. Also, please dilute this very hot oils when applying topically, and take extra care when using on children and sensitive skin.
One drop taken daily can help maintain healthy immune function; Oregano should be taken more frequently when seasonal threats are high or as needed to further boost immunity. When diffused, Oregano acts as an enhancer and equalizer in essential oil blends and can help maintain healthy respiratory function.
- Put two to three drops in veggie capsule to help maintain a healthy immune system.*
- Add 10 drops to a spray bottle full of water for a last-minute counter spray.
- Oregano is an excellent source of antioxidants.*
- Add one drop in place of one tablespoon ground oregano to your favorite Italian dishes.
- Supports healthy digestion.*
- Supports healthy respiratory function.*
- May help to support a healthy immune system.*
- Used as a powerful cleansing and purifying agent.
If you happen to have some Certified Pure Peppermint oil with you, take a minute to apply a drop onto your hands and massage it into the back of your neck. (If you don’t have any with you- that’s OK. Just continue to read on).
Take that drop of oil, rub your hands together and massage the oil into the back of your neck. (Be sure to avoid the eye area.) Peppermint is a fantastic oil to use for muscle support and to ease tension.
Try breathing in the vapors from your hand to experience the rejuvenating, awakening qualities of the peppermint plant. I actually use Peppermint oil to stay awake and alert when I’m driving. You are probably noticing the intensity of the oil and the powerful aroma. This peppermint oil is the most concentrated and pure peppermint oil in the world. It is a very powerful oil that can be used to calm occasional stomach upset, support over-all digestive health, and to maintain a comfortable body temperature.
- Rub on temples after you wake up for a morning energy boost.
- Diffuse when feeling fatigued or low on energy.
- Take one to two drops in a Veggie Capsule to alleviate occasional stomach upset.*
- Promotes digestive health.*
- Place one drop in your mouth to help freshen breath.
- Add two to three drops to your favorite smoothie recipe for a refreshing twist.
- Place one drop in palm of hand with one drop Wild Orange and one drop Frankincense and inhale for a mid-day pick-me-up.
- Helps reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion.*
- Promotes healthy respiratory function and clear breathing.*
- Commonly found in oral health products.
- Blends well with Lavender for a soothing massage blend.
- Add to cold water compress or foot bath to cool off when overheated.
- Inhale for a non-stimulant, invigorating pick-meup on long drives.
- Add to shampoo or conditioner for a stimulating hair massage.
- Repels bugs naturally.
- Spritz around windows and doors.
- Diffuse during study-time.
- Apply topically to relieve feelings of tension.
This “respiratory blend” contains laurel leaf, peppermint, eucalyptus, ravensara, melaleuca and lemon. This is very self-explanatory. The oils in this blend are fantastic for respiratory support in general. You can diffuse it or apply it to the chest or feet to relieve occasional respiratory issues. To do this, you should mix it with the fractionated coconut carrier oil so that you can spread it across the chest.
- Maintains feelings of clear airways and easy breathing.
- Helps minimize the effects of seasonal threats. Diffuse or inhale directly from palms, or rub on chest when environmental threats are high.
- Diffuse at bedtime to promote a restful night’s sleep.
Another one I never want to be without! We use this one for anything “hole to hole” — occasional bloating, constipation, diarrhea, food poisoning, heartburn, nausea, abdominal cramping, etc. I find it most useful to take internally in an empty gel cap, or buy them in capsule form already. Another favorite way to use this oil is to rub a little on the troubled area. My children love this one any time their tummy hurts.
- Have Digestive Blend on hand when enjoying heavy holiday meals to promote digestion.*
- When traveling or trying new foods take Digestive Blend to soothe occasional stomach discomfort.*
- Add to water or tea to maintain a healthy gastrointestinal tract.*
- Eases feelings of queasiness.*
- Use with fractionated coconut oil for a soothing abdominal massage.
- Helps reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion.*
This “protective blend” contains wild orange, clove bud, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus, and rosemary. I use this blend daily for immune system support and protections against pathogens that I am exposed to. You can use it frequently throughout the day if you are fighting something off. I highly recommend using this blend regularly to assist your body in staying healthy all year long!
Clove oil is the world’s best antioxidant and cinnamon oil is the 3rd best antioxidant in the world. I like to take it internally or apply it on my tongue for sore throats. It can also use topically on the spine or feet on your toothbrush, or even in a diffuser to combat airborne pathogens.
- With its unique aroma, Protective Blend offers a fragrant, natural, way to clean.
- Protective Blend is an effective alternative to synthetic options for immune support.*
- Diffuse for cleansing the air.
- Add two to three drops in a veggie capsule for a quick immune boost.*
- Supports the body’s natural antioxidant defenses.*
- Rub on bottom of kid’s feet during school season.
- Diffuse in home before company arrives to help cleanse the air and add a spicy and sweet aroma.
- Diffuse in class setting for an uplifting scent.
- Supports healthy immune function.*
- Protects against environmental threats.
- Diffuse in your home or office during fall and winter months.
- Add to water for an effect all-purpose cleaner for surfaces.
- Supports healthy respiratory function.*
This Soothing Blend comes as an oil, or in a cream form that contains the oil blend.
Soothing Blend is amazing! You will fall in love with this product and it will become your “go to” for orthopedic discomfort. The oils in this blend are very soothing and it also contains a very unique oil called Helichrysum. This unique essential oil speeds the restoration of tissues often allowing the underlying source of discomfort to be addressed.
- Apply on feet and knees before and after exercise.
- Perfect for a soothing massage after a long day of house work.
- Apply to hands and feet after gardening.
- Connect with Grandma by giving her a hand massage with Soothing Blend Rub.
- Rub soothing blend on lower back muscles after a day of heavy lifting at work or during a move.
- Massage soothing blend with a few drops of carrier oil onto growing kids’ legs before bedtime.
- After long hours on the computer, try rubbing Soothing Blend essential oil blend on your fingers, wrists, shoulders, and neck.
- A few drops of Soothing Blend diluted in Fractionated Coconut Oil can be a part of a cooling and comforting massage after a workout.
Essential oils for mood management:
There are four blends that are created to help with mood and mental well-being. Most people find one or more of these blends very beneficial.
Grounding Blend. It helps to even out mood swings and reduce stress levels. This may be my very favorite oil and I don’t go a day without putting it behind my ears and on my wrists.
Joyful Blend is used to lift the mood and reduce depressed feelings.
Invigorating Blend is helpful for mood lifting and motivation.
Calming Blend is very soothing and will reduce an over-active mind and body and reduce anxious feelings. It can also be very effective for supporting healthy sleep patterns.
How and Why to Dilute Your Essential Oils
Read more here.
Want to get all or some of these natural solutions in your home? Email me and I will help you figure out what would be most useful to you and your family!