I’ve been meaning to try this Bourbon Street Chicken recipe for a few weeks now, and boy am I glad I got around to it! I am a huge fan of chicken, as my regular readers can probably tell by the high percentage of posts that include it. 🙂 Red meat? -eh, every once in a while. Chicken? – yes please. Every day.
Unfortunately, my dear husband is kind of the opposite.
So when I find chicken recipes that he really likes, I store it away in my mental “5-star rating” recipe box. I think this one needs to be added!
See that beautiful sauce? Yummmmm!
K, here’s how to make Bourbon Street Chicken for yourself:
Start by browning up some chicken. Make sure you add the chicken when the pan is searing hot. I like to take a piece of chicken and just touch it to the pan. If it sizzles the second it makes contact, the pan is ready. If it doesn’t, give it a few more minutes. If there’s oil in the pan (as there is in this recipe), make sure the oil is hot, but not so hot that it’s smoking. The same “sear” test applies.
When the chicken is browned, remove it from the pan and mix up the sauce. Water, brown sugar, soy sauce (I used gluten free), ketchup, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and corn starch. Add it all to the pan and bring to a hard boil, then add the chicken back in and reduce to a simmer.
Let it simmer for about 20 minutes, or until it has reduced to desired consistency.
Serve it up over rice. We used brown rice and it was great! (Sorry for the blurry pic! And this is the husband plate, not mine, just fyi. That’s a massive portion even for a nursing mamma :-))
Thick, rich, savory, and just slightly sweet, this Bourbon Street Chicken was quickly devoured. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (after making this, I would cut the sugar down a bit. Maybe to a 1/4 cup or less.)
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (I used gluten free soy sauce stuff since that’s what we had. Delish!)
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup water
- Cooked rice (we used the precooked brown rice from Costco. Super quick and healthy!)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Mix together the ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, corn starch and water. Add to the skillet and bring to a hard boil.
- Add the chicken back in with the sauce, reduce heat to simmer. Let simmer for 20 minutes or until reduced to desired thickness.
- Serve over rice.
Recipe adapted slightly from Big Oven