This is a long time family favorite recipe. When a friend asked me to post a super quick, healthy breakfast recipe, this one came instantly to mind. (I love requests, by the way! If you have one, please let me know in the comments.)
Growing up, we had this spinach pie for dinner, piping hot and accompanied with a dollop of plain yogurt. I’ve found that it is also an amazing breakfast, straight from the fridge.
This spinach pie recipe is a cinch to whip up, and if you do it in advance, you will have a healthy grab-and-go breakfast for several days.
Start out with the crust. Mix whole wheat flour, a touch of salt and a bit of olive oil together, right in the pan you are going to use, then press it up the sides and across the bottom of the pan.
Wilt some spinach or use the frozen packs (which are said to be the biggest bargain in the grocery store!) I had an enormous bag of spinach from Costco, so I was happy to use it up 🙂
When it wilts, it shrinks down a lot! I ended up doing two batches of it, because I wanted my “pie” to be mostly spinach. You can do whatever spinach/egg ratio you like. There’s really no way to mess this recipe up.
Whisk the spinach with the eggs, a touch of salt, pepper, and garlic. There was another ingredient we used to add when I was growing up, and I finally remembered what it was: nutmeg! Just a tiny touch will do. I like mine just fine with or without it.
Pour your spinach mixture into the uncooked crust and top with feta. I’m a HUGE feta fan, but growing up we would mix Parmesan cheese into the spinach egg mixture instead. Either way is super delish.
Pop ‘er in the oven for 30-45 minutes, or until the eggs have set up nicely. Let cool before you place in the refrigerator, or eat it for dinner hot out of the oven and with a dollop of plain yogurt, just for old-times sake 🙂
Old Fashioned Spinach Pie
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 eggs
- Spinach (I used about 4 HUGE handfuls – both hands :-)), wilted; or 1-2 packs frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- Salt and Pepper to taste (I used just a sprinkling of each)
- Garlic powder to taste (I used maybe a 1/2 tsp)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In cake pan, combine crust ingredients. Mix well, using your fingers if you like (getting messy in the kitchen is fun, in my opinion!), then press into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. You may think it’s not enough crust, but just keep pressing it around and you’ll be surprised at how much it can cover.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Place the spinach in a saucepan over medium high heat, turning every once in a while until it is wilted. Add to the eggs. Add salt, pepper and garlic (and nutmeg, if desired)
- Pour spinach mixture into the uncooked crust, top with feta, and place in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes, or until the eggs have set up nicely, and the feta is golden brown.
- Serve hot with a dollop of plain yogurt, or let cool and refrigerate until the next morning for a quick grab-and-go breakfast.