Summer calls for lots of BBQ’s, and BBQ’s call for lots of baked beans. While I have really enjoyed canned baked beans in the past, I’ve found that they are now just too sweet for my tastes. Solution? Make my own, of course!
I had my sister try them (who said that while she doesn’t MIND baked beans, she never seeks then out.) She called me yesterday to see if I had any on hand for her to eat 🙂 I mark that down as success. I hope you enjoy them too!
Better than Bush’s Baked Beans
- 1 Tbsp butter or oil
- 1/2 of an onion, finely chopped
- 3 slices of good bacon, sliced
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp molasses
- 2 cans of beans –pinto, black, white or a mixture (rinsed and drained)
- Heat medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Saute onions in the butter or oil til they are translucent. Add the bacon and saute til they reach your desired level of crispiness.
- Add the ketchup, garlic powder, cumin, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and molasses. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the beans and reduce heat to simmer until they are warmed through and reach desired thickness.
*If beans are too thick, add some water. If they are too thin, add a mixture of cornstarch and water when they sauce is bubbling; stir until the sauce returns to it’s original color.