This cake is one of those “don’t make very often” cakes because it’s close to impossible to resist eating the whole thing. When I made it, I kept about 3 pieces in the house, and quickly gave the rest away. Of those 3 pieces, I gave two to my husband, and made him take them out of my sight so I wouldn’t *accidentally* sneak a few more bites. Maybe I lack self-control (highly possible!), or maybe this cake is just that good. You be the judge 🙂
The original recipe had an extra 2 sticks of butter and a glaze that included 2 cups of powdered sugar. I left off the glaze entirely, and swapped the 2 sticks of butter for 1/2 cup of oil in the “swirl” part of the recipe. But trust me, you won’t notice that you’re eating a lighter version! (It’s still not health food, by the way.) If anything, the “lighter” version allows the cinnamon flavor to come through more. The texture is melt-in-your-mouth heaven with a slight crunch on the top. Let me know if you’re more successful at resisting “snitching” temptation than I was! 🙂
Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 4+ Tbsp cinnamon (be generous! I didn’t measure…just DUMPED it in. It is cinnamon coffee cake, after all!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×13 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, eggs, and vanilla then slowly stir in the melted butter. Pour into the prepared 9×13 baking dish.
- To make the topping, combine the oil, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon together until well combined. Drop evenly over the batter by the tablespoonfuls and use a knife or spoon to swirl through the cake.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out nearly clean. Let cool a few minutes before slicing. It’s so melt-in-your-mouth that it falls apart if you try to move it too soon 🙂
- Enjoy! (And share with others!)