This post is LONG overdue! Life has been so full – my husband got his Master’s in May, we went to Hawaii for a couple weeks to celebrate and visit family (so spoiled!), moved, then went on another family trip all the way across the country, stopping in at 4 family reunions and two mile-stone birthday celebrations (80th and 85th!), and have been remodeling our new place since we got back.
So ANYWAY, long overdue post. Sorry to my dear friends who keep checking my site and finding NO UPDATES whatsoever. You know who you are 🙂
Way back in May when my mother-in-law –we’ll call her “B” — was coming for a visit (for the aforementioned Master’s graduation), I decided to try out this gluten free dessert. “B” is a trooper, but having experienced many food allergies myself a while back, I know how hard it can be when you’re the ONLY PERSON not eating that fabulous looking dessert…or bread…or ice cream…or, well, most of what the American diet consists of!
I was a bit skeptical about this recipe. It does, after all, call for BEANS. But I was willing to give it a try, and “B” was on board, so away we went!
Hello amazingly rich, dense, CHOCOLATY perfection! We’ve actually made this twice since then, once when we were visiting my in-laws on Maui, and also when we were on the East coast with them during our whirlwind family vacation. It was a hit each time, and not just among those who are gluten and dairy intolerant 🙂 This was devoured so quickly, we had to hide the leftovers so that “B” had something to eat for desserts!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
- 2 cans white beans or garbanzos, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup quick oats (use certified GF if needed)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tbsp oil (canola or coconut)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips (this is PLENTY. Don’t add more, even if you’re a choco-holic) 🙂
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Thoroughly blend everything except chocolate chips in a food processor or blender (the blender will just take longer since you have to scrape down the sides a lot.)
- Mix in the chocolate chips and pour into a greased 9-inch cake or pie pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Let cool slightly before slicing and DEVOURING. It’s amazing with ice cream (if you can have dairy), and also really good straight from the fridge.