Hello! I’m back with yet another pancake recipe. I couldn’t help myself! The weather outside has been a bit dreary, I’m fighting off a minor cold, and the thought of pumpkin, clove, ginger and nutmeg was just a wee bit too tempting.
I got my inspiration for this recipe here. I made quite a few mods though to come up with a healthy, protein rich version. (Yes, I’m all about getting protein into everything…it happens when you’re a nursing mom!)
Let me tell you, these pancakes did not disappoint! They were sublimely soft and tender – so much so that they almost dissolved in my mouth. Make sure to get your portion size set before you take a bit, and put the rest away. It’s far too easy to simply inhale these.
I speak from experience.
When they were on the griddle, I was hovering over them just waiting for them to be done. I may have burned my fingers just a bit trying to eat the first one that came off. And I devoured it. And then another. And maybe another…before finally putting two on a plate so I could try them with toppings. Good thing I made small pancakes.
I ate these with a dollop of super rich-and-creamy full-fat Greek yogurt, and a drizzle of ginger syrup. Yum! It paired so well with the pumpkin and pumpkin-pie-esque spices. The only thing I will do differently when I make these again is add more spices, just cuz I like LOTS of spice with my pumpkin =)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup vanilla whey protein powder (doTERRA Trim Shake would work well here!)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (or 1 drop doTERRA Ginger eo)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (or 1 drop doTERRA Clove eo)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat non-stick griddle to 375°F, or place a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together thoroughly. Then mix in the “wets” – milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vanilla.
- Make pancakes your preferred size. Mine were 1/4 cup each.
- When bubbles appear on the top of the pancakes, give ’em a flip and cook just a little while longer.
- Cover in your choice of toppings. I chose plain, full-fat Greek yogurt and ginger syrup, but they would be super good with just grass-fed butter and maple syrup too!
- Eat. Savor. Enjoy.
Mine didn’t last long =)